Success Story: Kraft Foods
Kraft, one of North America’s largest consumer packaged food and beverage companies, needed a data archiving solution to keep its large and fast-growing database in check. The company wanted, as much as possible, to use the same solution and approach for archiving data for its grocery and confectionary divisions even though each division had different business processes and data volumes. This approach became even more important in 2012 when the company decided to split the two divisions into separate companies.
Kraft needed to complete the spin off within a one year timeline. It needed a solution to:
- Archive key data in preparation for system split
- Automate the manual data archiving tasks
- Improve retrieval of archived data to facilitate audits
As part of the spin off, each company would assume different tax reporting responsibilities, so access to archived data needed to comply with each business’ fiscal requirements. The company also wanted to ensure that archiving continued during this busy period so it could to maintain SAP system performance, but it wanted to automate archiving so key business and IT resources would be free for other, more pressing tasks.
Kraft worked with Serrala to create flexible archiving strategy that would meet the needs of both divisions pre-spin off and facilitate the division of data while keeping the company’s SAP systems performing at optimal levels throughout the corporate transformation. The solution included:
- Implementation of standard SAP archive objects: 20 ECC, 5 Plant Maintenance, and 30 BI
- Separation of archived financial data according to fiscal reporting requirements
- Automation of archive tasks using Archive Sessions Cockpit
- Improved retrieval of archive data for audits using 9 PBS Archive Add-on Modules
During the system split period, Serrala used the Corestone migration tools to migrate unstructured documents from source to target systems, as needed. Serrala also archived the company’s legacy Plant Maintenance modules, so that the company could upgrade its SAP systems.
With Serrala’s archiving solution in place, Kraft realized faster system performance and faster back up, upgrade, and recovery times. Key accomplishments include:
- Ability to quickly separate data according to spin off terms
- Reduced 32TB down to 10GB of ECC data and online data residency periods to 6 months
- Reduced cost of hosted data storage service based on newly reduced data volume
- Increased efficiency of business and IT staff through automation of archiving tasks
The company continues to monitor its data growth and implement new archiving objects as needed to continuously improve system performance.