A 140-year-old privately held real estate investment company best known for the balanced, sustainable communities in Southern California and the Silicon Valley was in the process of rolling out SAP. The company had grown quickly and consequently had very complex Accounts Payable (AP) processes. With over 400 managed properties, there was no visibility into invoices needing approval, and the process needed to be re-engineered. The company decided the best approach is to automate its existing AP process, concurrent with the SAP rollout, so it could have a more centralized invoice process that provided greater visibility.
Serrala provided complete blueprint, implementation and training services for the company’s invoice process for Accounts Payable. The solution included FS2 Accounts Payable, along with archiving to retain the invoice images in PBS ContentLink, an SAP ArchiveLink certified document repository. Serrala designed and implemented the capture management system consisting of Kofax Ascent and Ascent for Payables Optical Character Recognition (OCR). Custom workflows were created using SAP Business WorkFlow to provide seamless integration and to complement the entire procure-to-pay process.
Key decision points were:
- An end-to-end solution with one vendor
- A complementary rollout in conjunction with SAP Procure to Pay
- Maximum leverage of their SAP investment with minimal additional Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- Best practices-based solution tailored to their specific environment
- Web-based approval and coding of invoices
- Automatic routing of invoices for approval and coding based on rules, without AP processor intervention
The project from blueprint to implementation successfully went “live” in conjunction with their SAP application providing a seamless procure-to-pay solution.
- An enterprise-wide view to invoices
- Automatic process time monitoring and escalation as needed
- Improved efficiencies and visibility to invoices reducing lost or misrouted invoices